Tuesday 13 October 2009

Can we make this go viral?

The Telegraph may have found the holy grail of life-improvement:

A decade ago, I set out to investigate luck. I wanted to examine the impact on people's lives of chance opportunities, lucky breaks and being in the right place at the right time. After many experiments, I believe that I now understand why some people are luckier than others and that it is possible to become luckier.
It seems to work, too:

One month later, the volunteers returned and described what had happened. The results were dramatic: 80 per cent of people were now happier, more satisfied with their lives and, perhaps most important of all, luckier. While lucky people became luckier, the unlucky had become lucky.
(Hat Tip - Stuart Sharpe. And yes, the title is a deliberate reference to a well-known television series)

9 comments:

  1. I am on a very very long bad luck run at the moment. well over 20 things have happened, any one of which would be a talking point for the year.
    The good luck streak seemed to run out in 2007.

    I blame the well known Jonah effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could have a good discussion about this one day. I think what Mr Wiseman says is probably true. It is up to us to make our own luck but that does make me feel lonely and will it make me happy when I look the fate of others? Oh yes, fate. Are some things part of destiny? I'll stay flexible on that one, as advised. Must pick a colour for the next party. Black? What do you think? I will be honest and say I do not like people I meet at parties who are networking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black is good so long as it is little, Measured. Good luck ;-)

    Bill - same here, but I feel optimistic for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill,

    I blame the well known Jonah effect.

    You got swallowed by a whale?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you should be wishing me good luck? Is this not illogical in the light of the research? Perhaps you meant 'go and make good luck,' peverse as that may be. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know someone who is going to get very "lucky" from selling a book telling people how to be "lucky"!

    How to become a millionaire - send £5 to BE and all will be revealed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He'll get rich, BE, but good luck is mainly intended to make you happy imho. Money doesn't make you happy, it just lets you be miserable in comfort.

    Measured - if I wish you luck, it should make you more receptive to lucky opportunities, provided you believe me.

    Albert - if so, Bill's wifi must have an excellent range. I think he means a different Jonah, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. patently, agreed - good luck is not about money.

    To be fair, though, I remember this whole 'luck' principle being summed up quite neatly in, oh God, a million Hollywood movies. Let's face it, if you've seen Dead Poets Society you already know the principle advice for being a lucky person.

    And if you haven't seen Dead Poets Society, you probably should.

    ReplyDelete